New Webafrica Network Migration

Hypnza

WebAfrica to "fastest server":

WebAfrica to Vox Cape Town:

WebAfrica to Vox London:

Axxess to Vox London:

(I'm using Vox servers as that's what the WebAfrica support person asked me to measure against when reporting to them)

(from a WebAfrica support person)

I realize that this is a Webafrica issue as the speedtest clearly proves, but I will have to prove it to our systems engineers.
LOL wut

I am sorry and I know this is frustrating but I am going to ask you to please do the last test for me. As you may know, is that we moved over to a new Upstream provider a month ago and it may be that this routing applied by them is causing the issue for you.
no kidding

----

I respond on my ticket saying nope I'm done, wishing the support person well, and saying I'll be using Axxess until my cancellation takes place (end of the month). WebAfrica responds with:

In order for our team to ensure that the issue is properly investigated we will require you to please complete the tests requested by the previous agent .

We would like to avoid back and forth with our back-end team and would like to provide them with all the information regarding the slow speed issue .

We can understand that this issue is frustrating however we would like to work together to get this issue resolved as soon as possible .
LOL no, I'm DONE DONE. Leave me alone, or pay me for my time.

Last edited:

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
Correct, but you can only get 5 stars and a unshaped service if you have been good :)
They said they are getting rid of the FUP, they probably should of said they are adjusting it ?
This was a mistake on the back end development when removing the FUP for our customers - it should not be there at all - please confirm whether the 5-star rating system still reflects on your Customer Zone profile , if so please DM your account details to allow us to get this fixed with no further delay

WebAfrica Helper

WebAfrica to "fastest server":

WebAfrica to Vox Cape Town:

WebAfrica to Vox London:

Axxess to Vox London:

(I'm using Vox servers as that's what the WebAfrica support person asked me to measure against when reporting to them)

(from a WebAfrica support person)

LOL wut

no kidding

----

I respond on my ticket saying nope I'm done, wishing the support person well, and saying I'll be using Axxess until my cancellation takes place (end of the month). WebAfrica responds with:

LOL no, I'm DONE DONE. Leave me alone, or pay me for my time.
We have reported this to your techs and network teams immediately

WebAfrica Helper

Hi All

With regards to FUP being removed - there was an issue on the back end development that allocated our old 5-star rating system to a minority batch of profiles in error, it has since been resolved and should not reflect at all in your Customer Zone profiles at this point - the 5-star rating system would have not affected the connection performance at all. We apologize for any confusion caused.

Our teams have confirmed this issue affecting a small portion of our clients to be resolved

Please DM us immediately with your customer code, if your Customer Zone profile still has the 5-star rating system reflecting - we will ensure this is fixed as soon as humanly possible

Also - please DM your support ticket reference number for any reported network/connection speed issue - senior techs on standby to investigate your connection issue and ensure a response with a path of resolve, today!

Stuey74

To those who may be interested, I cancelled my WebAfrica line and moved to Axxess. Completed today. 1000/100 Mbps line is a little more than R200 extra a month. Same infrastructure which was performing at roughly half speed to this:

1564502584429.png

So not the line, definitely the new network.

CaptainPugwash

To those who may be interested, I cancelled my WebAfrica line and moved to Axxess. Completed today. 1000/100 Mbps line is a little more than R200 extra a month. Same infrastructure which was performing at roughly half speed to this:

View attachment 690413

So not the line, definitely the new network.
WOW! That's crazy speeds!!!
Did you get the new Uncapped Axxess account found here?
https://www.axxess.co.za/fibre/uncapped

MisterV

You went with Webafrica :unsure:

Anyways let me see what it looks like my side

EDIT:

Fine my side

No this is my friends line, in WeirdaPark Centurion. Same area as you funny enough.
I dont have fibre @cavedog, every friend and family member has though xD
Says its happens when he starts downloading, his ping spikes to over 150ms, but when he stops downloading everything seems to be fine. On winMTR the router keeps up 0 or 1ms to router and 0% packetloss

cavedog

Honorary Master
No this is my friends line, in WeirdaPark Centurion. Same area as you funny enough.
I dont have fibre @cavedog, every friend and family member has though xD
Says its happens when he starts downloading, his ping spikes to over 150ms, but when he stops downloading everything seems to be fine. On winMTR the router keeps up 0 or 1ms to router and 0% packetloss
I'm in Wierdapark too and it's perfect. Hmmm :unsure:

cavedog

Honorary Master
says its the first time this happened to him, only when he starts downloading this happends
Funny. He is on the package with no FUP right?

My tests was on a capped account so naturally it will be line speed.

onslauth

Hi,

As of Wednesday ( 7th August ) this is the state of my international access with WebAfrica on their 100/100mbit uncapped account:

I can get full line speed locally, but anything overseas cannot exceed 5mbit/s. Ive had to call them multiple times, and they never call back, and there is no progress with the ticket.

I have a friend who is also on WebAfrica through Vumatel ( my fibre is supplied through SADV ), that isn't having these problems, and we spent the whole of Thursday evening running tests to servers overseas and comparing, taking our time to do this, and provide all the feedback in the ticket, along with traceroutes and throughput tests to sites we controlled, and not a single person from WebAfrica has even bothered to look at this or contact us or even acknowledge that there is a problem.

Before Wednesday, the above speedtest would easily yield 60+mbit/s values.

I am honestly going to have to cancel my account with them on Monday and move to a new ISP because they cannot be bothered to even acknowledge this issue. I've done more work for them, and they haven't even bothered to try to contact me to work with me to resolve this.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi,

As of Wednesday ( 7th August ) this is the state of my international access with WebAfrica on their 100/100mbit uncapped account:

I can get full line speed locally, but anything overseas cannot exceed 5mbit/s. Ive had to call them multiple times, and they never call back, and there is no progress with the ticket.

I have a friend who is also on WebAfrica through Vumatel ( my fibre is supplied through SADV ), that isn't having these problems, and we spent the whole of Thursday evening running tests to servers overseas and comparing, taking our time to do this, and provide all the feedback in the ticket, along with traceroutes and throughput tests to sites we controlled, and not a single person from WebAfrica has even bothered to look at this or contact us or even acknowledge that there is a problem.

Before Wednesday, the above speedtest would easily yield 60+mbit/s values.

I am honestly going to have to cancel my account with them on Monday and move to a new ISP because they cannot be bothered to even acknowledge this issue. I've done more work for them, and they haven't even bothered to try to contact me to work with me to resolve this.

Well the first clue you gave was local is fine but international is slow. First thing that comes to mind for me with Packet loss on the SADV line. Webafrica uses Echotel same as Axxess and Afrihost and they use Liquid Telecom for international transit. I use Afrihost on Openserve and international is perfect.

So to identify packatloss you would ideally need to do iperf tests to see the packet loss but for basic troubleshooting you can install pingplotter free or winMTR. They are both free tools but pingplotter is pretty decent.

You would run it to an IP located internationally maybe like feralhosting.com or coreix.net and see how the packetloss it and where is occurs.

onslauth

Hi Cavedog,

This was our setup:

My line ( WebAfrica 100/100 account, line with SADV )
Friends line ( WebAfrica 100/100 account, line with Vumatel )

We also setup servers, one locally on hetzner, and international ones on AWS.

We ran Iperf tests between the two lines, and get 100mbit/s full line speed. We also ran iperf tests from each line to the hetzner server, and get full 100mbit/s without any packet loss.

We then ran tests from each line to the AWS servers, and my friends line gets anywhere between 50-80mbit/s, my line only gets max of 10mbit/s.

None of the iperf tests reported any packet loss.

I've also used this site to test file downloads: https://speed.hetzner.de/

I cannot achieve more than 200kbit/s with those files while downloading. And using pingplotter, and the above site since it allows icmp pings, I have 0 packet loss.

Anyone on Vumatel using WebAfrica seems to be unaffected. And I do not know of anyone else on WebAfrica using SADV, so I cannot compare.

Flamer283

Hi Cavedog,

This was our setup:

My line ( WebAfrica 100/100 account, line with SADV )
Friends line ( WebAfrica 100/100 account, line with Vumatel )

We also setup servers, one locally on hetzner, and international ones on AWS.

We ran Iperf tests between the two lines, and get 100mbit/s full line speed. We also ran iperf tests from each line to the hetzner server, and get full 100mbit/s without any packet loss.

We then ran tests from each line to the AWS servers, and my friends line gets anywhere between 50-80mbit/s, my line only gets max of 10mbit/s.

None of the iperf tests reported any packet loss.

I've also used this site to test file downloads: https://speed.hetzner.de/

I cannot achieve more than 200kbit/s with those files while downloading. And using pingplotter, and the above site since it allows icmp pings, I have 0 packet loss.

Anyone on Vumatel using WebAfrica seems to be unaffected. And I do not know of anyone else on WebAfrica using SADV, so I cannot compare.
Im on a 20/20 with SADV, Let me know if you want me to run some tests or something to help you