*READ FIRST* MTN Network Status & Issues (DNS, Throughput and Latency)

Voldemort

Death eater
Hi There,
Is anyone have MTN data speed problems in the Little Falls/Ruimsig/Wilgehewel area's, JHB.

For the last two day's I ahve been battling with connectivity to MTN data. It is bouncing from edge to 3G to HSPA (Including HSPDA & HSUPA).

Today I phone 1555 data help desk and spoke to coverage team and they suggest to set the modem to "3G Only" and connect. No Luck.

It show a full 3G signal on the modem and the minute it connects it switches over to HSPUPA (384kbps/2Mbs). This is SO fustrating. Feel like a 80's working on 9600bps dailup line.

Can anyone help or give suggestions?

Thanks
<KK>
Hey there

Yesterday morning the Newlands RNC went down, I wasnt even able to make/ recieve callssss, my serving site being Little falls Checkers. its sorted now but i agree the throughput needs some work- im on it. Problem is capacity, loads of users in the area so im trying to get an extra E1 link for the site to improve on this.

btw it is normal for your card to do that- HSDPA is faster than 3G buddy ;)

KrazyKid

Thanks for the feeback

Hey there
btw it is normal for your card to do that- HSDPA is faster than 3G buddy ;)
I know that HSPA is faster than 3G if is working at HSPA or HSDPA (download link), but the modem goes into HSUPA (upload link mode) therefore the upload speed is 2Mbps (GREAT!), but the download link is saying 384kbps ....

I was lead to believe that if it is in HSUPA it would pigback on the HSDPA and give 7.2/2Mbps combination. That only happens when modem stats HSPA.

I agree that the Little Falls area has exploded in population therefore users.
In 2005/6 I stayed in Florin Road, Wilgehuewel and had Kurt from Coverage there and said to him that MTN better jack the coverage up as the "Milkyway" townhouses complex was not even build then.

thanks
<KK>

KrazyKid

Data Apartheid

I am begining to wonder if there is prehaps TWO networks; One for EGDE and and one for 3G.

I have been trying various configurations and solutions to try get my 3g data speed back to normal.

I have now just connected my Nokia N95 8GB to the PC and dialed in @ 3G; No Web; "Page can't be displayed". I then did a network diagnosis on Win7 and the result is can't find the DNS server.

Now if I connect via my Huawei modem set to GPRS only (Edge) then I get Google and web pages but at a slower throughput.

Why does this happen if you connecting to the same backbone network on MTN NS?
Will it help to use manual DNS entries for 3G comms?

Anyone got a spare pigeon?

Kosie345

I'm using my HTC Tattoo to play World of Warcraft. It works great for most of the day and I was very surprised at the relatively low latency. However, as soon as it gets past 7 o'clock, then I start getting disconnected every 5 minutes or so.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've seen similar posts, but no clear solution.

Kosie345

I possibly solved my problem. I downloaded an android app called PdaNET to connect to the internet via my phone and i haven't disconnected yet despite playing from about 6pm to 10pm. My latency is quite a bit higher, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

gpe

MTN doing updgrades/updates in Cpt for last few days ?? During the evening the service has been on off -- note to MTN to "reboot" servers pls. lol

gpe

Anyone know when WACS is coming online .. or if there are any current upgrades happening ? Roland Street Tower has been sketchy for last few days. Almost can't browse at times.

J-man

I've been getting really slow upload speeds on for the last 2 days.

Download of around 1mbps, Upload of around 0.02mbps. I'm on the mtnvpn APN. Anyone else experiencing this?

Tamphosa

Good day Dr Data.I have an issue with my broadband connection on my laptop.It connects on mobile partner and even the status bar on my taskbar shows that there is connectivity but when I hover my mouse cursor above the bars it says there is no internet access.I then diagnosed it and it keeps telling me that the DNS server is not responding.What should I do?

Randux

Expert Member
MTN Edge connects but no data throughput I'm so annoyed this is becoming a frequent thing now*angry*. Anyone else having the same problem? I'm in PMB

SLi-Man

GPRS/EDGE in Century City, Cape Town

Anyone else experiencing very slow connections with MTN in this area?
I can only get GPRS with my Blackberry Torch making it very painful to update any apps.

I think an upgrade is in order. :confused:

Asha'man X

Expert Member
Connectivity issues?

Hi everyone

Quick question: is anyone having connectivity issues with MTN in Cape Town today? I've been unable to connect to 3G for over 2 hours now, despite my phone changing to the 3G and HSDPA indicators. I've restarted phone etc to no avail. I've also tried it in another phone, and I can't connect on that phone either.

I tried my dad's phone who is on MTN prepaid, and he is able to connect fine.

I wonder if it's not just my SIM card that has become buggered again, or if it's just my account.

Asha'man X

Expert Member
Well, for whatever reason the connection started working this morning about 8:45 or so. Not sure what went wrong, but it's good to have it back again.

I wonder what went wrong, must have been some minor issues on the network.

Newb-lite

I hope i am posting in the right place ... i have no idea where else or if i should make a separate thread

i received my router and mtn card about a week ago.

I am running a poynting directional antenna and the router reports 4 bars of wcdma (b660 router)

However my speeds are terrible. I get approx 1-10 kb/s. on one night i got 200 and fainted ... when i woke up it was back to 10.

I phoned the coverage helpdesk and they confirmed i have coverage (full 3g), 1555 says i should be all good and had me change my apn. all this has had no effect.

What can i do/check?

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I hope i am posting in the right place ... i have no idea where else or if i should make a separate thread

i received my router and mtn card about a week ago.

I am running a poynting directional antenna and the router reports 4 bars of wcdma (b660 router)

However my speeds are terrible. I get approx 1-10 kb/s. on one night i got 200 and fainted ... when i woke up it was back to 10.

I phoned the coverage helpdesk and they confirmed i have coverage (full 3g), 1555 says i should be all good and had me change my apn. all this has had no effect.

What can i do/check?
What speeds do you get with a 3G card instead of the router?