*READ FIRST* MTN Network Status & Issues (DNS, Throughput and Latency)

Newb-lite

Hi Airwolf

I get the same speeds. (low/slow)

THere was an mtn person at my house a day or so ago (ran around looking for signals) , and said they will do something with the towers around me ... so i live in hope hehe.

will let you yguys know what happened.

SJB

Dead slow and intermittant connection in Ellisras

I have been experiencing terrible voice and data connection in Ellisras since approximately 2 weeks ago. Calls to 808, 1555 and 083-900-1212 eventually resulted in a "logged call" last week, unfortunately nothing has improved and so far no feedback from MTN on the issue.

This is extremely worrying as I'm also experiencing similar "network" related problems with Screamer Wifi, and Vodacom (3G but at least voice is better) with the 3 providers being down at the same time simultaneously (thus not much of a contingency plan for connectivity....)

Tonight I was told that unfortunately a call can not be logged again because 083-900-1212 for network related queries is routing back to 808 (Customer Care) and they can not log a call. Is there anyone from MTN on MBB that can assist and at least provide feedback when this problem will be resolved in the Ellisras/Onverwacht area?

isie

Executive Member
Was there a problem with mtn last night? I had really crappy connection, could not go on almost any sites, only Facebook seemed OK.

Electron1

Expert Member
Is MTN down in Sandton (near corner of Rivonia and Grayston drive) at the moment (17:15 16 November ? ).
Some users cannot make calls to other networks, others have no signal.

steve@2011

none, or weak mtn coverage in sandton since sunday 4 Dec

Really struggling to get any signal in Sandton for last two days. 3g is a no-go around Benmore.

Type RSA

Expert Member
MTN Connection Issues. No assistance!!!

I have been experiencing connection issues when using my MTN mobile 3G connection since Wednesday 18/01/2012. I reported the issue on Friday 20/01/2012. I was instructed to give the internet "time" to correct itself, because it might be temporary and sort itself out. Even though I wanted to swear at the fool on the other end of the line I kept my cool and waited patiently (internet-less) the whole weekend. Now it is Monday 23/01/2012 and the situation has gone from bad to worse!!! Now I cannot connect at all!! I am able to connect from our offices with no issues at all, it only happens at my house. SO IT IS NOT MY SETTINGS!!! Stop telling me that, ffs!!! I phoned em to report it today and I get passed around like a hot potato. Please can anyone let me know what the correct number is to get hold of these fools?? I need to report this issue URGENTLY and no one seems to be able to assist me. I am getting REALLY fed up!! I live in Northwold, 3rd Rd!!!! Fix it!!! I have the 2GB package, E367 Modem

Thanks!!

Krypty

MTN Cell Tower Data Services Down, help needed

Do anyone know where I can check in regards to faults on towers etc.

The reason I am asking is that I am only getting GSM services on multiple phones. GPRS, Edge, 3G and BIS/BES Services is all down. If I climb in my car and drive away say between 3 or 4 km away then services seems to be picked up from other tower fine.

I called 083 900 1212 but the service is not too good and they cannot even give me a reference number.

Region Affected:
Vaalpark (Post Code: 1947, 1948) near Sasolburg

Last edited:

Voldemort

Death eater
Do anyone know where I can check in regards to faults on towers etc.

The reason I am asking is that I am only getting GSM services on multiple phones. GPRS, Edge, 3G and BIS/BES Services is all down. If I climb in my car and drive away say between 3 or 4 km away then services seems to be picked up from other tower fine.

I called 083 900 1212 but the service is not too good and they cannot even give me a reference number.

Region Affected:
Vaalpark (Post Code: 1947, 1948) near Sasolburg
When you enquired, what did they advise?

Krypty

They did not advise anything. They stated that they will monitor the tower or send a technician out to investigate.

In regards to the CellID, is this the towerID you are talking about?

Yesterday: I phoned again and they stated they have another problem in the area in regards to power but our signals worked fine on GSM.

Today (10am): Seems some services is back online as data is being push through. Will monitor and give update later.

SteveO

Expert Member
CellID is the Site/Tower ID + Cell indicator,so either of the those numbers will work as they will look at the site

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Sandton/Sandown problems

Hi all
Anyone in the Sandton area near Investec/RMB having problems?
I have no signal at all most of the time, and if I do get signal it's 1 bar, no data and calls keep dropping. Seems to have started in the last couple of weeks...

Thanks
S

MTN Speed - 3G

Does anyone else in cape town - tamboerskloof area have problems with 3G ? - MTN
it crawls - wikki and bank sites take forever to open

is it a mtn capacity problem ?

i was in plettenberg bay and storms river - it was lighting fast

thanks
vernon

I O U

You might try calling MTN technical department on 1555 if they still have it - take the following thread into account, perhaps, even though from a year ago.

I'm no expert, but ask them if they can check the tower/s closest to you ; also, I'm not from CPT so wouldn't know ...

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...o-an-operator-whn-I-phone-1555-for-data-query

to choose to speak to a darn operator when you call 1555? I have phoned them before and they really know their stuff on data.

Last edited:

Type RSA

Expert Member
You might try calling MTN technical department on 1555 if they still have it - take the following thread into account, perhaps, even though from a year ago.

I'm no expert, but ask them if they can check the tower/s closest to you ; also, I'm not from CPT so wouldn't know ...

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...o-an-operator-whn-I-phone-1555-for-data-query
Do not even try to get through to those clowns!! You will waste your time. I have been unable to connect to the internet for 2 weeks now and have phoned 083 900 1212 and 083 1555 numerous times and I am still not any closer to having my problems resolved. So I am cancelling my contract with them as I am unable to browse at all!!

threegee

What a bunch of clowns MTN are, they put you on hold for 30 minutes and longer, I just disconnected the call after 30 minutes, refuse to wait so long, they don't even give progress of how long it will take, all they play is their silly whistling song in the background. This is InterNOT at its finest.

MTN high latency and high jitter in Midrand

The past week or so in Glen Austin in Midrand we've been having very unstable service, even though we never go off of HSPA or WCDMA. We'll have high latency for hours and then suddenly it'll be fine again for an hour or so then back to lag city. And getting anything out of their help desk seems to be impossible... Attached two pingtest.net screens taken 15mins apart.

As you can see we jump from 700ms ping AND jitter to over 1000ms ping and jitter to a server in the UK. Before this I consistently got ~200ms ping with max 50ms jitter.

CellBel

Expert Member
Very bad for the past 6 hours in Postmasburg, NCape
With E367 modem.

SA;
Test conducted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:48:31 PM

Download Speed: 315 kbps (39.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 25 kbps (3.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 10101 ms

Int;
Test conducted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:54:37 PM

Download Speed: 275 kbps (34.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 12 kbps (1.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 20726 ms