The Official 3G Iphone Thread

nicolasvr

Oh ya nicolasvr have you got the phone yet?

Hey guys The supplier has kept delaying things telling me he now has to apply for an import export license or something like that to get the phones. So I have requested he refund me asap before I open a case against him and he has refunded me my full R5500. So clearly we are not going to get phones from him hehe. And I see all you guys think im in with him to fraud you guys, so clearly I am not! Anyways got my money back & I got an email from smartcom saying they are expecting iphones between late august and early september. So im rather going to wait for them. To many bricking issues and phones crashing from all the people I have been chatting to who imported. So im rather gona wait. Plus I see the iphone nano is coming out, so rather wait for that 1 :D

d0b33

Honorary Master
Hey guys The supplier has kept delaying things telling me he now has to apply for an import export license or something like that to get the phones. So I have requested he refund me asap before I open a case against him and he has refunded me my full R5500. So clearly we are not going to get phones from him hehe. And I see all you guys think im in with him to fraud you guys, so clearly I am not! Anyways got my money back & I got an email from smartcom saying they are expecting iphones between late august and early september. So im rather going to wait for them. To many bricking issues and phones crashing from all the people I have been chatting to who imported. So im rather gona wait. Plus I see the iphone nano is coming out, so rather wait for that 1 :D

Waaaay to convenient if you ask me... this story just does not convince me sorry.

Why would somebody sell something and accept money if they don't have an import license? rofl

Rendier

Expert Member

Glad you got your money back.

AND

I told you so.

kolakidd

Posted on macrumors.com.... Where the hell is Vodacom?

During their Q3 2008 financial results conference call, Apple announced that they would be launching the iPhone 3G in 20 additional countries on August 22nd. Several carriers have started announcing their plans:

- Singtel of Singapore sent out an email (image) telling interested customers that they will be sending out more details next week. Those who sign up at singtel.com/iphone will receive priority.
- TeliaSonera announced that they would be bringing the iPhone 3G to Estonia on August 22nd. (via setteB.IT)
- Airtel announced the iPhone 3G will be "coming soon" to India. (via TechTickerBlog)
- Orange announced that they will be bringing the iPhone 3G to Romania on August 22nd.
- O2, Vodafone, and T-Mobile have announced the iPhone 3G for the Czech Republic.
- Orange and Era will be offering the iPhone 3G in Poland.
- Globe Telecom announced for Philippines.
- T-Mobile announced for Hungary.
- Orange and T-Mobile have both announced for Slovakia.
- Movistar has announced for Chile.
- Telefónica Latinoamérica (PDF) and América Móvil (via CNN) have both announced for eight Latin American countries: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, and Uruguay. América Móvil also adds Honduras and Paraguay.
- According to setteB.IT, Latvia and Lithuania will have coverage from TeliaSonera.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Waaaay to convenient if you ask me... this story just does not convince me sorry.

Why would somebody sell something and accept money if they don't have an import license? rofl

Indeed! *nyuk nyuk* LoL :D

gunslinger

I think Vodacom are installing new wide carriage printers so that they can print invoices with a few extra 000 behind the launch price.

hhaha

e.cachucho

I think Vodacom are installing new wide carriage printers so that they can print invoices with a few extra 000 behind the launch price.

hhaha

HA HA, thats so true gunslinger, I think we might finally have hit the nail on the head as to why Vodacom has made no statement up to now. They have an entire design team trying to figure out what number of 000s are the most aesthetically pleasing. Its a bit like flower arranging; things look better in uneven numbers, so they are trying to decide between: 000, 00000 and 0000000.
I know this is totally off topic, but I am personally grinding my teeth waiting for an iPhone announcement from Vodacom. May the jes#s phone come to us on the 22nd....

Last edited:

Dovi

Expert Member
Dear x xxxxxxxxxxx

I understand the frustration that you are experiencing at the moment. Please except my sincerest apology for the inconvenience caused.

Kindly be advised that we do not have an estimate time of arrival for this handset.

Vodacom is now taking pre-orders for the iPhone 3G. You are registering to be alerted as to when the handset will be available in the country. By registering, it also doesn’t guarantee you stock of the handset.

"You can pre-order your iPhone 3G by pre-registering - available to anyone, not only Vodacom customers. Our iPhone sales team will be in contact with details, as soon as it becomes available," please visit our website:

http://www.vodacom.co.za/acme/acme_details.jsp

Should you have any further queries, please contact us via e-mail at customercare@vodacom.co.za

Warm Regards

xxxxxx xxxxx
Email from Vodacom today :(

KingLv

At this rate the Samsung i900 will be out before the iPhone 3G

SkyMatix

I have become so disillusioned with the whole 3G iPhone scenario. But what to do? If I go and buy something like the HTC diamond, I KNOW I'll be green with envy when the iPhone *finally* lands. And I'm not buying BOTH.

So despite this sucky situation, the only option seems to be to wait and wait and wait, until finally Vodacom releases the phone. That, or pay through your nose to have one imported...

Rendier

Expert Member
I have become so disillusioned with the whole 3G iPhone scenario. But what to do? If I go and buy something like the HTC diamond, I KNOW I'll be green with envy when the iPhone *finally* lands. And I'm not buying BOTH.

So despite this sucky situation, the only option seems to be to wait and wait and wait, until finally Vodacom releases the phone. That, or pay through your nose to have one imported...

R8000.

Your not getting it cheaper from Vodacom... Guarantee you that.

Prob be a R2000 buy in and then take out a top end contract.

If you change your mind let me know.

I have one with your name on it :) lol

Colin62

Executive Member
I'm just going to carry on using my Nokia 3310 because everytime I want to upgrade there is something better about to be released which is worth waiting for. :)

Actually I'm seriously considering going back to my 8310 - no features, but it had battery life and was so easy to stick in your pocket, and could carry a signal the whole way home. I could then go back to my PalmPilot as a PDA...

broken1

Expert Member
Rendier, how is your iPhone unlocked? I assume a sim-adapter...but which one?

ChocolateBear

Hey guys

Just a quick question regarding the iPhone 3G... will it work across all SA networks once unlocked? (I'm on Cell C...)

I'm currently in the States/Canada, so I can pick one up for around $700. Is there a software unlock available yet? Or is it just the turbosim thingy?

Rendier: I saw some youTube video where they used a similar sim-card adapter.. the "adapted sim" went in fine, but there problems getting it back out? Have the same issues with this turbosim contraption?

Oh one more thing: is this sim-adapter restrictive in any way w.r.t the iPhone's features?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Rendier

Expert Member
Hey guys

Just a quick question regarding the iPhone 3G... will it work across all SA networks once unlocked? (I'm on Cell C...)

I'm currently in the States/Canada, so I can pick one up for around $700. Is there a software unlock available yet? Or is it just the turbosim thingy?

Rendier: I saw some youTube video where they used a similar sim-card adapter.. the "adapted sim" went in fine, but there problems getting it back out? Have the same issues with this turbosim contraption?

Oh one more thing: is this sim-adapter restrictive in any way w.r.t the iPhone's features?

Thanks!!

It's not an issue if you take care when putting it in for the first time.

I have taken mine out many times and put it back carefully. Remember that if it fits when it goes in then it should be the same when it comes out.

Easy does it.