Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
ISP email support tested — and only one could answer a simple question

An email support test of South African Internet service providers (ISPs) by MyBroadband revealed that only RSAWeb provided a complete and reasonable answer to the questions asked.

Email is a core part of any ISP’s support channels, but it is often neglected, with more focus placed on call centres and WhatsApp.

Totempole

Expert Member
I would have given the point to Metrofibre, because their answer did indirectly answer both questions.

To refer to Afrihost and Axxess's answer as "Fair" is the overstatement of the year. The info they gave you was mostly useless and irrelevant.

eg2505

Honorary Master
nice article, just goes to show you how much emphasis is placed on troubleshooting and problems in Call centre agents training.
nothing about what the customer actually needs or really requires.

you pay Peanuts and you get.....

Death

What's alarming to me is the turnaround time for the right answer from RSAWeb for such a simple question.
I would assume all ISP's were asked roughly the same time and not over a weekend or whatever?
To me, that's a really terrible time frame for a support channel.

But agree, nice article =)

Totempole

Expert Member
What's alarming to me is the turnaround time for the right answer from RSAWeb for such a simple question.
I would assume all ISP's were asked roughly the same time and not over a weekend or whatever?

Well, in terms of response time, they were 3 days faster than Metrofibre, so there's that.

crysis

Expert Member
22 hours 57 minutes for a response. Definitely the winners! /Sarcasm

Pixies

Honorary Master
life-hack-big-brain.gif

zoozi

Expert Member
"Hi, [x] ISP support, how can I help?"
"What is the actual speed of a 100Mbps fibre package, and how long would it take to download a 1GB file?"
"Have you tried turning your router on and off again?"

gun-phone.gif

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master

The reasoning is below.
We need more information, send your MTR.

Syphonx

Expert Member

Why, its a low priority issue, simple or not. They should prioritize outages etc. first.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I don't see asking for more info to assist being an issue tbh, depending on what the info is.
Did you reply to any of them and ask just to have the question answered? I'd pick the 1-8 minutes of HC and CI if that's working in a back and forth, though CI support has been iffy for me.

I'm also left wondering why you didn't ask Mweb, since this is basically their target market, those who know nothing about net.

I would consider Metrofiber's 100 hours to be disqualified, no one waits a week to get an answer for how long it takes to download, they'll google it or ask a friend who googles it.

eddief1

Expert Member
"RSAWeb explained that they guarantee a 100Mbps line to the router..."

Guarantee is a strong word and very far from best effort - just saying

envo

Expert Member
Weird, and 3 business days to answer? Might make you think the volume of support calls they're working on, which in turn makes me wonder what is wrong with their service. This should have had a simple response within a couple of hours.

And to be honest, a question like that I would bump from tech support to pre-sales support very quickly so they can follow up for any potential sale that might come out from the answer, sales usually respond much quicker (dumb tip that works most of the time, if you phone for tech support and they're "busy", choose sales and see how quick they answer the phone, then ask to speak to tech support or a call center manager)

The real WTF moment comes in for additional personal information required by most of these people.... really? You need to know my ID number to answer a question to a potential customer? Maybe they're like "ugh, lets check their credit rating first before answering to see if this dumbass can actually afford our service first"?? What ass backwards way of doing business is this?

KvotheZA

Feels like this site is getting some sort of payment from RSA Web to produce these articles that paint them in such a good light. RSA Web is horrible , their service is pathetic and 24 hours for this response is actually a miracle and must have been automated considering their track hisotry. Do some real tests like which ISP provides advertised speeds via international traffic . There are maybe 2 on this list that would pass that test and RSA Web is definitely not one of them .

Stuey74

ISP's that always assume you are using WiFi to test, and that is the first thing they blame