MTN SuperSonic Feedback

Gazed416

I've had a weird-ish experience with Supersonic on Wednesday afternoon.

I've been looking around at getting a new ISP and obviously I had to enter my physical address to check for coverage. I don't recall entering my cellphone number but they managed to get ahold of me. I was offered the free trial, which I responded to that I am aware of the trial. The lady then asked if we could proceed with the application and I said that I would get back to them because I'm still considering (even though I want to sign up with Web Squad). She then asked if the technician can phone me next week and I said "yes, that's fine". I honestly don't mind the free trial, but I'm not currently living where I need the Fibre to be, and unfortunately I wasn't aware of the renovation delay. I only recently found out that we're only moving at the end of March.

Anyway, so the call ended, but then two days later (Friday) I received an SMS.
"
Dear Customer, Welcome to the supersonic Family.

You order has been processed and sent to the installation team who will be in contact with you and keep you updated on the progress. You can follow up on Whatsapp by clicking on the (the actual link) using #Installation. Bright Regards, The supersonic Team"

It's a bit of a contradiction. I said that I'll let them know and then agreed that the technician can phone me, which is probably assumed that I'm now part of the "Supersonic family"? It feels a bit forced because I simply just checked on their website for coverage, I get phoned regarding the trial, and now I'm a part of the family. I actually don't feel happy about it because it should be my decision if I want to be with them or not, even if it's a free trial.

OPs' post/updates have been helpful and if for some crazy reason Web Squad succeeds to disappoint me, then I will strongly consider Supersonic. However, the above experience just kind of felt like they're desperate to get clients and I honestly just want to tell the technician next week that I already chose another ISP.

phil77

I've been looking around at getting a new ISP and obviously I had to enter my physical address to check for coverage. I don't recall entering my cellphone number but they managed to get ahold of me. I was offered the free trial, which I responded to that I am aware of the trial. The lady then asked if we could proceed with the application and I said that I would get back to them because I'm still considering (even though I want to sign up with Web Squad). She then asked if the technician can phone me next week and I said "yes, that's fine". I honestly don't mind the free trial, but I'm not currently living where I need the Fibre to be, and unfortunately I wasn't aware of the renovation delay. I only recently found out that we're only moving at the end of March.

"

You order has been processed and sent to the installation team who will be in contact with you and keep you updated on the progress. You can follow up on Whatsapp by clicking on the (the actual link) using #Installation. Bright Regards, The supersonic Team"

It's a bit of a contradiction. I said that I'll let them know and then agreed that the technician can phone me, which is probably assumed that I'm now part of the "Supersonic family"? It feels a bit forced because I simply just checked on their website for coverage, I get phoned regarding the trial, and now I'm a part of the family. I actually don't feel happy about it because it should be my decision if I want to be with them or not, even if it's a free trial.

OPs' post/updates have been helpful and if for some crazy reason Web Squad succeeds to disappoint me, then I will strongly consider Supersonic. However, the above experience just kind of felt like they're desperate to get clients and I honestly just want to tell the technician next week that I already chose another ISP.
I would strongly discourage anyone from taking Supersonic as their ISP.

peanutbunny

"

Stay far from the free trial, I signed up, wanted to cancel , was told they'll be cancellation fees due to a clawback in their T&Cs, I suggest you read their T&Cs before you consider going with them, after signing up also if you cancel within 24 months the cancellation fees will be pro rated.

Gazed416

Stay far from the free trial, I signed up, wanted to cancel , was told they'll be cancellation fees due to a clawback in their T&Cs, I suggest you read their T&Cs before you consider going with them, after signing up also if you cancel within 24 months the cancellation fees will be pro rated.
Thanks. I will stay away from them

dasdk

If you already had fibre with another ISP there shouldn’t be any clawback
But that said .....they should be reported....or least mybb should write a piece on it ....instead of comparing dstv prices from 1998 to 2019

cavedog

Honorary Master
If you already had fibre with another ISP there shouldn’t be any clawback
But that said .....they should be reported....or least mybb should write a piece on it ....instead of comparing dstv prices from 1998 to 2019
Agree but I also think people are over reacting on the clawback.

First the trial is obligation free and it states that in the terms so Supersonic is wrong by charging anyone who cancels during the trial. Secondly the clawback of 24months is not nice a 6months clawback would have been a better option. There should be NO clawback if you already had a line installed no matter when you cancel as Supersonic did not cover the installation fee.

Now for the clawback I think people are over reacting because with other ISP you need to pay the installation up front where with Supersonic you don't and get the 1st month free. So if you cancel you are paying the installation fee you would have paid upfront to another ISP if you had signed with them so Supersonic is not punishing you for leaving they just want a portion of the install fee back which is fair I guess. They also won't release the line until it's paid which is also not unfair because you won't get service with the other ISP unless you pay the install fee upfront when applying for a new line.

dasdk

Yep totally agree
I was fortunate when c fibre first ran their specials
Free install, 3 months free fibre with free router that you don’t have to return after the 12 month contract
(I never used the b315 router.....)

phil77

Just a mini update:
I called Supersonic and asked why the account has not been cancelled yet. The guy told me from his side it shows as cancelled (even though i still have an internet connection). He brought up the clawback issue against, i just told him send the invoice and i will take it up with ISPA.

Later today i will drop off their router at their offices and will get a "job card" with the clawback amount.

phil77

update:

I dropped the router off at the supersonic offices in Fairlands at around 5pm yesterday. Was attended to by their Customer Experience Manager. I told him the whole story why i want to cancel. He initially said he will try get me a lower price because he doesn't want customers to leave. I insisted on cancellation and he said they normally get a 30 day notice that's why the line hasn't been cancelled.

I told him how unfair it was for the consumer to be expected to pay a clawback fee , he just said the Ts and Cs are subject to change. I told him that the agent who helped me before i signed up hadn't told me of this fee he said he will ask his superiors on whether they can waive it.

I am awaiting his phone call this morning.

wingnut771

Executive Member
update:

I dropped the router off at the supersonic offices in Fairlands at around 5pm yesterday. Was attended to by their Customer Experience Manager. I told him the whole story why i want to cancel. He initially said he will try get me a lower price because he doesn't want customers to leave. I insisted on cancellation and he said they normally get a 30 day notice that's why the line hasn't been cancelled.

I told him how unfair it was for the consumer to be expected to pay a clawback fee , he just said the Ts and Cs are subject to change. I told him that the agent who helped me before i signed up hadn't told me of this fee he said he will ask his superiors on whether they can waive it.

I am awaiting his phone call this morning.
Why is it you want to cancel again?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Starting to get frustrated now with Supersonic. I'm still chasing after them. Temba is dealing with query and he is on a call since yesterday morning when I phone until now he is still on a call. If I didn't know better I'd say he is avoiding me.

When Supersonic work it works well. When it doesn't you get a bunch of people running around trying to help but at the end of the day those people don't have any solutions because they need to escalate it to someone higher.

Running in circles and it's boring me. I think I'm moving my 200Mbps to ISAT just for line rental and using Vox Fat pipe and Cybersmart on it. Works me out cheaper and maxes my line always.

Now after 8pm I'm getting like 50-60Mbps... :rolleyes: Their JHB IPC is so badly congested and the trace routes show it but they want Openserve to come and test the line when 3 other ISP's give me full speed at the same time.