New Webafrica Network Migration

wingnut771

Executive Member
@Forum, @WebAfrica Helper

Update on my ticket (666945)

So as you can see on below speedtest my line is still in the same condition, Barely 5MB on 200MB line.

So far I have been asked to do a PPPoE connection test directly from my pc to the Fibre box, eliminating my router as a problem. Well as you can see in my speedtest the problem still persists, I gave feedback and was handed to a new support person. Bare in mind at this point my entire history is this ticket were I explain that right before I moved over to the new network my speedtests were hitting 180MB+ on multi connection tests.

My first response from the new support person is that they would like to replace my router, when asked why the reason given was that my router supplied by WebAfrica might not be able to handle the 200MB connection or that my devices might be the limiting factor in my speed IE laptop network card....

Well I am proud to say I kept my composure and assured the support person that I have multiple routers that can handle well over 100MB connections and that I do not want another router or need one, and my laptop far exceeds what WebAfrica could even try and supply me when it comes to speed. So this where I am now :(

I don't complain, I cancel.

atunguyd

@Forum, @WebAfrica Helper

Update on my ticket (666945)

So as you can see on below speedtest my line is still in the same condition, Barely 5MB on 200MB line.

So far I have been asked to do a PPPoE connection test directly from my pc to the Fibre box, eliminating my router as a problem. Well as you can see in my speedtest the problem still persists, I gave feedback and was handed to a new support person. Bare in mind at this point my entire history is this ticket were I explain that right before I moved over to the new network my speedtests were hitting 180MB+ on multi connection tests.

My first response from the new support person is that they would like to replace my router, when asked why the reason given was that my router supplied by WebAfrica might not be able to handle the 200MB connection or that my devices might be the limiting factor in my speed IE laptop network card....

Well I am proud to say I kept my composure and assured the support person that I have multiple routers that can handle well over 100MB connections and that I do not want another router or need one, and my laptop far exceeds what WebAfrica could even try and supply me when it comes to speed. So this where I am now :(

If you are on openserve then there is a simple way to prove it is the WA network. Just pay for an axcess prepaid data (buy 3GB it will not cost you much) and use those credentils with your openserve line. If it works perfectly then it is not your router, or your PC or your ONT or the fibre line as they all work perfectly switching to the axxcess network.

Hypnza

I'm now getting around 70meg to London (same SpeedTest server I'd done most of my testing against) - so things have definitely improved for me.

WebAfrica Speedtest:

Axxess Speedtest:

Now to find an ISP that doesn't use LiquidTelecom so I can get sub 195ms pings in Overwatch like I used to get on ADSL... sigh.

Last edited:

Pure_Acid

If you are on openserve then there is a simple way to prove it is the WA network. Just pay for an axcess prepaid data (buy 3GB it will not cost you much) and use those credentils with your openserve line. If it works perfectly then it is not your router, or your PC or your ONT or the fibre line as they all work perfectly switching to the axxcess network.
Unfortunately i am on the Frogfoot network as no other provider in my area.

Locally the speed tests are awesome.

Last edited:

Tharaxis

For me things seem to have finally stabilised the past week or so, I've not had issues with streaming from anything I use and since I predominantly use my Internet for streaming purposes I'm a lot happier. I don't have issues browsing or downloading and it seemed restricted to those limited use cases which have now been resolved (for now). Hopefully we don't regress.

Something happened last week Sunday, someone else reported their line having dropped 3 times during the course of the day, which is something I experienced as well. After that everything seemed to be good, so clearly something was done.

cavedog

Honorary Master
They don't offer uncapped afterhours data. Pitty... Website has conflicting info.

webafrica_downloadplus.png

webafrica_downloadplus_2.png

Honeycomb

My streaming quality has also improved over the last week. It's mostly as good as I could expect but what I find very annoying is its instability. Every night, the quality every so often suddenly drops to that "washed-out" picture that I was getting in the days immediately after the migration. It'll stay poor for maybe half a minute and then revert to the better picture. And then a little while later, the same thing happens. And again ...

I'm still hoping that WebAfrica Helper might find the time to explain to us Cape Town customers what has gone wrong, and what they've done and are still doing to fix the problem. It would be good to have just an acknowledgement that they are aware that many of us have had problems and that, for me at least, their service is still not as good as it was before their much-vaunted migration.

Pure_Acid

My streaming quality has also improved over the last week. It's mostly as good as I could expect but what I find very annoying is its instability. Every night, the quality every so often suddenly drops to that "washed-out" picture that I was getting in the days immediately after the migration. It'll stay poor for maybe half a minute and then revert to the better picture. And then a little while later, the same thing happens. And again ...

I'm still hoping that WebAfrica Helper might find the time to explain to us Cape Town customers what has gone wrong, and what they've done and are still doing to fix the problem. It would be good to have just an acknowledgement that they are aware that many of us have had problems and that, for me at least, their service is still not as good as it was before their much-vaunted migration.
@Honeycomb, @WebAfrica Helper

I hope that we get some sort of confirmation as well, as you in Cape Town my service is worse than before the migration.

Tharaxis

I agree, the silence on the part of Web Africa regarding this issue is just utterly deafening and unacceptable. If this was 10-11 years ago they would have responded far differently. Instead of engaging with customers and individuals who might have just as much knowledge, experience or understanding of the issues, and who might be more willing to accept those issues if they were engaged with and filled in with what's going on, they sit in silence and want to pretend like nothing happened.

It's that kind of myopic thinking that has resulted in WA falling off of basically all the top ISP lists. Remember when they were much vaunted for the quality of their support? When they were top spot for like 3 or 4 years in a row for their quality of service and overall quality of product? I remember because I was working there at the time.

When last has anyone ever spoken about WA being a top tier ISP, especially on MyBroadband? I can't even remember when last I saw them appear on an ISP comparison list. If it was my business I would be utterly embarrassed by what it has become, how far it's fallen and stagnated over the years. Heck, it makes me angry right now because of how all that good will and hard work we put in has ended up squandered. There are (were? not sure who all remains of the old guard) some exceptionally talented and knowledgeable and capable people there, but I feel the business as a whole has completely lost its way.

It's very very sad to see WA where it is, essentially looking to be sold off and bought by competitors that were at one time significantly smaller than WA was. How is it that a company that prided itself on its technical expertise, its drive to automate heavily to keep costs down, and that used clever marketing and active community engagement to drive incredible growth, has hardly grown since and *still* struggles to pull in a profit on its Internet services? It's unfathomable.

I mean just look at this article:
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/32978-telkom-network-downs-web-africa-adsl-wa-ceo.html

Matt, for all his faults, was extremely customer focused and took great pride in the business he had grown. We see none of that from WA these days, and frankly haven't since he moved on from the business.

Last edited:

Honeycomb

Having written my bit on Saturday afternoon, I now have to say that on both Saturday and Sunday evenings, my streaming quality was as good as it ever was, and seemingly stable, too. I've been hesitant to put this in writing, for fear that tonight will be bad again, but I felt that in fairness I needed to.

It still, of course, doesn't change my anger about WebAfrica's silence about these problems. It would be great to have it confirmed that the good performance over these nights is because they've actually identified and fixed the problem(s) for all of us and that this migration unhappiness is at an end.

Pure_Acid

I have cancelled. There was nothing really else for me to do I am just tired of writing and complaining about it. If my speed problem in CapeTown persists with the new ISP in September I am hoping at least they can help me troubleshoot better.

D.B.Cooper

Expert Member
I have also cancelled, done at the end of August. Frankly, their "uncapped" options are not remotely competitive, and their capped options... Well, there are far better deals to be had elsewhere.

Hypnza

Things have been okay since their fix, I even considered cancelling my cancellation, and today:

(on 100meg)

I know, maybe I should reboot my router...

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
International speeds on WA fiber is totally FUBAR at the moment.

It seems that Vox and Liquid is also struggling though.

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
Hi All

A sincere apology for the silence here, there have been some network alterations/updates made to the network
(thank you all for helping) since its launch, to further ensure all have an improved connection performance. Thank you so much, to those on this thread that have assisted us in further isolating their connection issues via DM, we appreciate your efforts and assistance to work out the reported issues discussed on the confirmed ticket references mentioned via DM.

Along the way - we had some teething problems, all of which we are either working on as we speak - and in some cases resolved already. We assure you... Gosh! it has been a REAL experience (in good ways of course :thumbsup:). Based on feedback we can, without a doubt confirm that the network migration has provided an improved general connection performance.

We're not in the business of making any excuses -so please, do continue to provide your feedback, as it does help us to improve and pinpoint where the issues are and get this working for all, with no further delays.

To allow us to help with any existing issue - please DM us with any inquiry related ticket reference, we have the senior technical squad on standby to assist, make contact to discuss and isolate to resolve as fast as possible

As for any comments on this thread - we will make sure there is a response here, going forward

Thanks a mil in advance :)

Last edited: