Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So neatrom 4.4 sent my phone into a bootloop. no idea why. Phone was sitting on my desk and then boom, bootloop.
perfect excuse to load up slim. Nice and fresh, much quicker than neatrom
 
is anyone using one of these MHL to AV adapter things to watch video on their TV?

Im reading conflicting info about the HDMI supplies 500mA while its plugged in vs you have to have it plugged into power while you using it (as represented and stated in my link)

You have to have the MHL connector powered externally. What they mean is that the MHL adapter supplies 500mA, thus charging the phone while outputting the signal.
 
You have to have the MHL connector powered externally. What they mean is that the MHL adapter supplies 500mA, thus charging the phone while outputting the signal.

ok thanks appreciate that. Im looking for a local supplier, but but 3 stores I called now didnt even know what I was talking about. One oke tried to sell me a USB charging cable :wtf:
 
ok thanks appreciate that. Im looking for a local supplier, but but 3 stores I called now didnt even know what I was talking about. One oke tried to sell me a USB charging cable :wtf:

I got mine from dealextreme. Waited for a while, but eventually got it.
 
So neatrom 4.4 sent my phone into a bootloop. no idea why. Phone was sitting on my desk and then boom, bootloop.
perfect excuse to load up slim. Nice and fresh, much quicker than neatrom

I've had this 2 times with Omega, very annoying and it makes your phone so unreliable. Also on SlimRom now.
 
i was on resurrection remix for a bit, but it had some issues. moved to aokp and then aosp before finally settling on slimrom. quite a quick and smooth rom. only my nedbank app doesn't smaak it so much - it crashes on startup until i go to advanced task manager, kill everything* and then try it again.

it has some quirks, but i can't tell you what they are because i can't remember anything. clearly it's nothing important or serious, otherwise i'd name it.

also, games run a lot smoother on slimrom than on the others i mentioned, especially soccer kicks. :D


*not everything
 
ok thanks appreciate that. Im looking for a local supplier, but but 3 stores I called now didnt even know what I was talking about. One oke tried to sell me a USB charging cable :wtf:

They are pretty scarce... Have seen them at the flea market though..
 
i was on resurrection remix for a bit, but it had some issues. moved to aokp and then aosp before finally settling on slimrom. quite a quick and smooth rom. only my nedbank app doesn't smaak it so much - it crashes on startup until i go to advanced task manager, kill everything* and then try it again.

it has some quirks, but i can't tell you what they are because i can't remember anything. clearly it's nothing important or serious, otherwise i'd name it.

also, games run a lot smoother on slimrom than on the others i mentioned, especially soccer kicks. :D


*not everything

I wonder if that is a cache error, or something. Nedbank app runs on my SlimROM (4.2.2 2.x) quite well. Have you tried reinstalling, clearing app data, etc.?
 
So it seems like most of us are on slimrom now? I've just flashed from dorimanx 7.50 to siyah v5 mcm, and the stability is better. Completely agree about dorimanx being the samsung of kernel developers.... more and more features, and you land ultimately with a kernel with a million features, and so many bugs!!!

Think I'm gonna keep slimrom to see out the remainder of my s2's life. Got about 6 weeks until upgrade time, I still like my s2, but it's starting to feel dated. I'm hoping for good reviews for the s4, because there isn't much else I'm considering. One thing for sure is that it will be getting rooted immediately so I can freeze all that bloatware! I do like the HTC One, but that 4mp ultrapixel camera... I'm not sold on that. I guess the only other android phone up there at the top would be the Sony Xperia Z?

Who else is due for an upgrade soon? And more importantly what will you be getting?
 
I wonder if that is a cache error, or something. Nedbank app runs on my SlimROM (4.2.2 2.x) quite well. Have you tried reinstalling, clearing app data, etc.?

I dunno, I have been having issues with my Nedbank app since I changed my font... couldn't be bothered really... even though it is more useful to me than most :p
 
So it seems like most of us are on slimrom now? I've just flashed from dorimanx 7.50 to siyah v5 mcm, and the stability is better. Completely agree about dorimanx being the samsung of kernel developers.... more and more features, and you land ultimately with a kernel with a million features, and so many bugs!!!

Think I'm gonna keep slimrom to see out the remainder of my s2's life. Got about 6 weeks until upgrade time, I still like my s2, but it's starting to feel dated. I'm hoping for good reviews for the s4, because there isn't much else I'm considering. One thing for sure is that it will be getting rooted immediately so I can freeze all that bloatware! I do like the HTC One, but that 4mp ultrapixel camera... I'm not sold on that. I guess the only other android phone up there at the top would be the Sony Xperia Z?

Who else is due for an upgrade soon? And more importantly what will you be getting?

The HTC One looks like the one to get. Despite the US S4's amazing benchmark scores.

I am quite fascinated by the UltraPixel camera. But I will be getting a Nexus 4 to replace my epic S2. So it will be up for sale in the not too distant future.
 
So it seems like most of us are on slimrom now? I've just flashed from dorimanx 7.50 to siyah v5 mcm, and the stability is better. Completely agree about dorimanx being the samsung of kernel developers.... more and more features, and you land ultimately with a kernel with a million features, and so many bugs!!!

Think I'm gonna keep slimrom to see out the remainder of my s2's life. Got about 6 weeks until upgrade time, I still like my s2, but it's starting to feel dated. I'm hoping for good reviews for the s4, because there isn't much else I'm considering. One thing for sure is that it will be getting rooted immediately so I can freeze all that bloatware! I do like the HTC One, but that 4mp ultrapixel camera... I'm not sold on that. I guess the only other android phone up there at the top would be the Sony Xperia Z?

Who else is due for an upgrade soon? And more importantly what will you be getting?

My choices so far, in no particular order, is Galaxy S4, Xperia Z (or L) and HTC One. My upgrade is only due at the end of May, so waiting for those reviews and comparisons and customs ROMS to come flooding in :D.
 
Last edited:
About to flash slim rom coming from ICS 4.0.3

Anything I need to look out for?

Wipe cache, dalvik, system, nukerom, then install slim + gapps?

Anything im missing?
 
About to flash slim rom coming from ICS 4.0.3
In my experience, if you want a trouble free experience with a new ROM, its best to completely obliterate every last vestige of any previous ROM & apps.

I use GS2ROMNuke, then format internal & external sdcards for good measure. Then load the ROM and re-download all apps (e.g. from Play) and re-configre them all manually (no restores).

I'm running on CM10.1 and its rock solid and smooth even though I update every other day to the new nightly. I figure the reason why my 'supposedly experimental' ROM is so stable is due to there being no baggage from the past to confuse/corrupt it.
 
Last edited:
About to flash slim rom coming from ICS 4.0.3

Anything I need to look out for?

Wipe cache, dalvik, system, nukerom, then install slim + gapps?

Anything im missing?

Follow instructions as per site:

Download device_x.x.zip, slim_gapps.zip.
Enter CWM, wipe data, format system ( in mounts and storage)
Flash Device_x.x.zip***, then MUST flash slim_gapps.zip (other files optional)
http://slimroms.net/index.php/installation

And yes, as Maverick says, nandroid backup :D
 
Ok. A day with slim and Im quite happy with it.
Few issues though.
Google Nav : The last couple of days (when i was still on neatrom 4.4) nav voice guidance stopped working. It would only make a beep to notify me of a change in the route. Loaded new gmaps and gnav when i flashed slim and this is still the case. any idea what i can do to solve it?

Homescreen Widgets
Im looking for a widget that combines the time and weather (transparent-ish white text) as well as a similar widget for my unread whatsapp, emails and miss calls. Bonus if it can do FB as well. Any recommendations?
 
Ok. A day with slim and Im quite happy with it.
Few issues though.
Google Nav : The last couple of days (when i was still on neatrom 4.4) nav voice guidance stopped working. It would only make a beep to notify me of a change in the route. Loaded new gmaps and gnav when i flashed slim and this is still the case. any idea what i can do to solve it?

Could be a Google Maps issue... But a question- did you clear the cache, dalvik cache and clear data from the apps? Might help...

Homescreen Widgets
Im looking for a widget that combines the time and weather (transparent-ish white text) as well as a similar widget for my unread whatsapp, emails and miss calls. Bonus if it can do FB as well. Any recommendations?

Just text?
For the weather and time- Minimalistic Text or UCCW should work well.
For the unread items- the best one would be an application like Missed It. You will need to pay for it, but it monitors all such services quite well.
 
Could be a Google Maps issue... But a question- did you clear the cache, dalvik cache and clear data from the apps? Might help...



Just text?
For the weather and time- Minimalistic Text or UCCW should work well.
For the unread items- the best one would be an application like Missed It. You will need to pay for it, but it monitors all such services quite well.

ill try clearing the maps data. isn't there supposed to be an option in gmaps or gnav to change the voice from male to female or was i dreaming when i saw that?

as for the widgets, it wasn't just text. had the whatsapp icon and a number next to it indicating unread messages. There was a screenshot of what im looking for but for the life of me I cannot find it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X