Home-Connect ISP Feedback

wingnut771

Executive Member
Ok - another theory that too many connections will make it slower, try 100.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Still 40MB/s, feel throttled to me... Peaks at 50MB/s and comes down to 40MB/s-42MB/s...

sand_man

Honorary Master
If you did a 200MB testmynet while torrenting at 40MB?
Will try that now now. Just doing a iCloud backup on my iPad. That's running at around 3.5MB/s... :sick:

Updating from 11.3 to 12.1.1, losing my jailbreak, temporarily I hope. JB 12.1.2 and below should be out soon... Apple still signing 12.1.1....

The IPSW file came down at max line speed. 3.2gb in around 30 seconds!! That never gets tired!!!!! :love:

Last edited:

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@sand_man that's a lot of retransmits, no matter which way you look at it - especially to a local server. GPON is likely to treat retransmits differently to Active E, but those levels look way out of range. I think most important is just to find out if your light levels are down to an acceptable point (usually -17 - < -26db). That said, at these lower speeds, retransmits should hardly crop up. At higher speeds, remember, you're sharing a 1.25 Gbps PON port between at least 30-60 active homes (significantly better sharing ratios than most FNOs), so getting line wire without any retransmit is slightly optimistic.

Fresh cables and decent routing kit means you've all but eliminated home network issues - hopefully.

At this point in time, I have to agree, the joy of 1 Gbps is those incredibly quick bursts when you want them. The larger problem is that a lot of networks just aren't ready for 1 Gbps clients yet. Far too many production servers still run off 1 Gbps switching, 1 Gbps uplinks and 1 Gbps backbones. We've even seen local speedtest servers that are limited to 500 Mbps max, lest a speedtest take down their network.

I'll make some enquiries with the engineers who operate the Vuma PON network next week. Will also send you another iperf3 server to test against.

wingnut771

Executive Member
@sand_man that's a lot of retransmits, no matter which way you look at it - especially to a local server. GPON is likely to treat retransmits differently to Active E, but those levels look way out of range. I think most important is just to find out if your light levels are down to an acceptable point (usually -17 - < -26db). That said, at these lower speeds, retransmits should hardly crop up. At higher speeds, remember, you're sharing a 1.25 Gbps PON port between at least 30-60 active homes (significantly better sharing ratios than most FNOs), so getting line wire without any retransmit is slightly optimistic.

Fresh cables and decent routing kit means you've all but eliminated home network issues - hopefully.

At this point in time, I have to agree, the joy of 1 Gbps is those incredibly quick bursts when you want them. The larger problem is that a lot of networks just aren't ready for 1 Gbps clients yet. Far too many production servers still run off 1 Gbps switching, 1 Gbps uplinks and 1 Gbps backbones. We've even seen local speedtest servers that are limited to 500 Mbps max, lest a speedtest take down their network.

I'll make some enquiries with the engineers who operate the Vuma PON network next week. Will also send you another iperf3 server to test against.
This is what I like.
My Vuma install is this coming wednesday. Unfortunetly the order was done through vodacom to get free installation. I've then changed to supersonic (to get a free month, why not?), but now I've settled on Websquad. I would feel "safest" there as I can at least talk to someone that's not a dummy.
I just hope vodacom don't hold me to the order, because I don't really mind paying the install fee and keep it simple. Either way, vuma are coming on wed 1pm, so they say.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Retransmits is exactly what we saw with our tests and went as far as Vumatel swapping the ONT and port on the OLT. Beyond that they aren't really interested.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Retransmits is exactly what we saw with our tests and went as far as Vumatel swapping the ONT and port on the OLT. Beyond that they aren't really interested.
Glad to see you back and contributing again.
Keep it up.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Dropping the speed to 8M fixes that on iperf test.