MTN SuperSonic Feedback

dasdk

Login on the supersonic website. I use my pppoe login details.

My usage on the left > Usage history > Click on your service which hould be SNO > Usage type select internet from drop down box now it's displaying your usage.
Yeah I tried that but no history to display ....maybe I need to wait a while

cavedog

Honorary Master
So since Supersonic first line support and whatsapp support is giving me the run around about the clear IPC congestion from 7pm to 10pm daily I have escalated it to the GM. She has vowed to sort it out asap or give me feedback at least. I have her personal cellphone number so was easy to go that route but If it does not get sorted I will end up eventually jumping ship which is a pity because when it works it works so damn good.

I think they underestimated the new signups vs IPC capacity and how long Openserve is going to take to sort it out.

Just like Cool Ideas problems with IPC it's a joke that Openserve is not ditching this concept. It's not working.

evilskaap

Expert Member
So I have been on Supersonic/Openserve 100/50 for a week now. Speeds are great, havent tested latency, yet. I will post a few speedtests tonight.

Reactions: Yuu

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I think we on openserve having similar problems. For the last 6-7 days , the Internet just stops working at around 7:45pm and starts working at 8:50pm. All customers on openserve FTTH regardless of ISP have the same issue. I am with Vox, others with rsaweb, etc. The common issue is openserve fibre. Vox has been responsive. Let's see how it goes.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Vumatel, Octotel, Openserve, Frogfoot... same whatsapp group...

cavedog

Honorary Master
I think we on openserve having similar problems. For the last 6-7 days , the Internet just stops working at around 7:45pm and starts working at 8:50pm. All customers on openserve FTTH regardless of ISP have the same issue. I am with Vox, others with rsaweb, etc. The common issue is openserve fibre. Vox has been responsive. Let's see how it goes.
Well I'm dealing with the GM and a guy from networks. He wants to compare graphs and traffic to see when the congestion is starting. Hopefully by tomorrow I would have a solid answer from Supersonic when the IPC capacity issue will be solved. I won't be surprised if this is cause by Openserve Wholesale's inability to manage IPC properly but want to charge ISP's an arm and a leg for IPC. Openserve really holding fibre back with this BS.

blunt

Expert Member
Anyone here on supersonic 100% (i.e. supersonic/MTN provide your line too) ?

evilskaap

Expert Member
Okay, some speed tests
Local multi:

International multi:

Local single:

International single:

cavedog

Honorary Master
So after a lot of back and forth with Supersonic they sent me this....

[14:40, 2/8/2019] Supersonic Whatsapp: Good Day our network team has checked on the IPC with Telkom and they confirmed that there is no congestion on there however i will leave a note for someone to test with you tonight if that okay with you
[14:41, 2/8/2019] Supersonic Whatsapp: i have picked up as well that i cannot log on to the router so it might also need to be factory defualted and reconfigure through the portal we use to manage the router

According to them there is NO IPC congestion at all and they have "plenty" of IPC capacity to spare on their JHB Openserve IPC link and told me the issue is with Openserve and my line even though Cybersmart and Vox is prefect when Supersonic give me this. :rolleyes:

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-07 at 20.00.32.jpeg

cavedog

Honorary Master
I responded to them okay can they advise me the cancellation procedure and now suddenly they want to have a look and do tests with me on the line.... :rolleyes: I was going to hop over to C-Fibre and save some money until I saw that suddenly C-Fibre on Openserve 200Mbps is R1999 now. :oops::eek:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Damn dude, and for the first couple of weeks you literally had the perfect account!

cavedog

Honorary Master
Damn dude, and for the first couple of weeks you literally had the perfect account!
Yeah I know. It was perfect. I get that IPC gets congested and it's expensive and hard to plan and even when upgrades are applied Openserve takes ages to finally actually implement the IPC upgrade for the ISP. I mean even CISP suffers from IPC capacity issues with Openserve struggling to sort them out.

Supersonic is just denying that IPC is congested which if found to be NOT true means they have not even bought/applied for an IPC upgrade from Openserve so where does this leave me when they eventually start noticing OMG our IPC is congested. 2 to 3 months of degraded services for the clients. I'm not sure if I can wait that long and hope it gets resolved because although support has been very responsive and tried to help I think it's a bit above their pay grade no offense to them.

They want me to factory reset my router so they can run tests from their side. They are obviously failing because I deleted those certificates that blocks the UI and gives them access. :laugh:

BTW even with this severe congestion and increased latency I can still stream twitch without buffering and still get like 80Mbps single to London although the latency shot up to like 230ms to London :D

cavedog

Honorary Master
What changed? On the back end?
So I checked everything. All the IP's are still the same since I joined. The traffic still follows the exact same routes since I joined.

So there are only 2 things that changed since I joined.

1. More people joined openserve fibre in the area because after all I did get installed like 5 days or so after it went live in the area.
2. More people joined Supersonic.

Now since I already ruled out issues with 1. because Cybersmart and Vox works perfectly no packetloss and speeds as expect I can rule out my fibre line and OLT congestion. I also removed the router and dialed the pppoe connections directly on my pc connected to the ONT with a LAN cable at 1Gbps. Same result.

That leaves us with 2. More people joined Supersonic especially with Free setup on Openserve. Free router and 1 month FREE internet. There is no other explanation. It's IPC congestion OR maybe a router just after IPC that is congested. I will test tonight by just pining the IPC IP and not doing a trace route to see what the latency is on that IP.

cavedog

Honorary Master
@sand_man

Did tons of tests now. Removed router connected directly to ONT but still slowish speeds ~120Mbps and 110ms latency locally. Sent them all the info. Wanted to prove them wrong switched to Vox and OMG from bad to worse.... Vox is giving like 150ms with like 40Mbps download speed.

Cybersmart is working fine thought. Looks like if I jump this Supersonic ship there isn't any place to go. Other ISP ships are sinking too. :unsure: