MTN SuperSonic Feedback

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ok I got it laud and clear it is a MTN issue. They are throttling you at times to prevent you from getting the full spectrum what you paid for. So MTN is having issues on there network.
I don't think it's a throttling issue. Throttling doesn't usually affect the latency just the speed.

cavedog

Honorary Master
@cavedog

Just another question are all ISP responsible for there own IPC.
Well they have to buy it. Telkom hands it over at Teraco so from there ISP's handle the traffic. Maybe @PBCool can explain in more details but as far as I know the ISP buys 10Gbps for example and if traffic exceed 10Gbps Openserve only feeds 10Gbps to the ISP at the hand over. That is how I understand IPC but of course it's like a secret due to non disclosure.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Well they have to buy it. Telkom hands it over at Teraco so from there ISP's handle the traffic. Maybe @PBCool can explain in more details but as far as I know the ISP buys 10Gbps for example and if traffic exceed 10Gbps Openserve only feeds 10Gbps to the ISP at the hand over. That is how I understand IPC but of course it's like a secret due to non disclosure.
IPC is complicated, historically if you wanted to pickup IPC at the respective Teracos you would need to purchase 1Gbps interface intervals.

If you wanted 10Gbps and above you would typically need to purchase a Openserve 10Gbps metro link from their Rosebank pop back to Teraco or wherever you would like to pick it up.

Recently they introduced "OSNET" which is their new network. Which you can now pickup 1/10/100G ports at Teraco.

That being said you still need to commit to capacity, so if you have a 100G port and you commit to 10G you would still saturate.

We went through the 1G increments to start and now do 10G and 100G. Which requires a bunch of migration processes. Of which I can't comment on what MTN needs to do and the processes thereof.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@cavedog

Just another question are all ISP responsible for there own IPC.
Also depends, for instance previously WA would have simply paid IS for a "service" they wouldn't have their own IPC. Whereas now they do in theory through Echo. But the design of IPC allows for multiple ISPs to use the same physical interfaces. IE Echo could have common IPC interfaces for all ISPs, or seperate.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Also depends, for instance previously WA would have simply paid IS for a "service" they wouldn't have their own IPC. Whereas now they do in theory through Echo. But the design of IPC allows for multiple ISPs to use the same physical interfaces. IE Echo could have common IPC interfaces for all ISPs, or seperate.
So what happens when IPC gets saturated? Packet loss or just slow varying speeds for the end users and I'm guessing upload counts towards whatever capacity the ISP has on the IPC if that makes sense.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
So what happens when IPC gets saturated? Packet loss or just slow varying speeds for the end users and I'm guessing upload counts towards whatever capacity the ISP has on the IPC if that makes sense.
Yes it's symmetrical, but obviously if one is saturated it can affect the other. All the usual symptoms of saturation, increased latency and packet loss.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Never mind extra slow speeds now and very high latency spiking up to 450ms to google dns in JHB from JHB. Very sad.

Hopefully my ISPA complaint gets some attention but who knows. Charging me a lot of money to cancel. Charging me full price of R1749 for a 200Mbps can't can't deliver. MTN written all over it.

supersonic_google_dns_mtr.png

wingnut771

Executive Member
Never mind extra slow speeds now and very high latency spiking up to 450ms to google dns in JHB from JHB. Very sad.

Hopefully my ISPA complaint gets some attention but who knows. Charging me a lot of money to cancel. Charging me full price of R1749 for a 200Mbps can't can't deliver. MTN written all over it.

View attachment 683085
Homeconnect charged me R1500 for that 1 day if that makes you feel any better.

I have routers coming out of my ears now.

Veck

View attachment 683085
MTN: that latency is totally normal
Cavedog: how did you pass high school? xDDD

cavedog

Honorary Master
Homeconnect charged me R1500 for that 1 day if that makes you feel any better.

I have routers coming out of my ears now.
Yeah that is hectic

MTN: that latency is totally normal
Cavedog: how did you pass high school? xDDD
Exactly and they work at MTN Business.... The fluctuation in speed and latency is CLEARLY congestion related and how they aren't seeing it I don't know. Surely their traffic graphs should show them and if not then no one else on Openserve is complaining? My line is perfect there is no packetloss and just imagine 400ms to google DNS.....

Just counting the last few days with Supersonic. They have a great network but the way the IPC is set up for them is NOT working so the people on Vumatel is enjoying Supersonic but on Openserve at these times it's congested. From 11pm until 3pm tomorrow it will be line speed again then from 3pm until 11pm is will start to deteriorate speed wise then 8pm increased latency.

Rinse and repeat. Been complaining since 2 June.... :rolleyes:

The invoices are never slow though.

Telkom LTE-A is giving me 15ms to google DNS and 149Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. Sad Supersonic very sad.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Yeah that is hectic

Exactly and they work at MTN Business.... The fluctuation in speed and latency is CLEARLY congestion related and how they aren't seeing it I don't know. Surely their traffic graphs should show them and if not then no one else on Openserve is complaining? My line is perfect there is no packetloss and just imagine 400ms to google DNS.....

Just counting the last few days with Supersonic. They have a great network but the way the IPC is set up for them is NOT working so the people on Vumatel is enjoying Supersonic but on Openserve at these times it's congested. From 11pm until 3pm tomorrow it will be line speed again then from 3pm until 11pm is will start to deteriorate speed wise then 8pm increased latency.

Rinse and repeat. Been complaining since 2 June.... :rolleyes:

The invoices are never slow though.

Telkom LTE-A is giving me 15ms to google DNS and 149Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. Sad Supersonic very sad.
i find using pingplotter has a more dramatic effect than winmtr, maybe supersonic support prefer looking at pictures lol.

Veck

i find using pingplotter has a more dramatic effect than winmtr, maybe supersonic support prefer looking at pictures lol.
yeah, i actually second this, you have to think on their level you know. like when they see the color red and orange it might have a more dramatic effect than just numbers all over the place. we are talking about MTN here after all >_>

cavedog

Honorary Master
@wingnut771 @Veck

So here are some pingplotter results. You can see the Supersonic one is very erratic and unstable. Cybersmart had 1 spike but see how straight that average line is. Supersonic is all over the place. Supersonic is giving me ~70Mbps on a 200Mbps line currently. After 8pm I suspect we will hit the 400ms to google servers in JHB.

From what I have experienced these are the best ISPs on Openserve network wise.

Webafrica
Axxess
Afrihost
Infogro

Very good local and fast international but slightly higher latency
Cybersmart
Vox

Worst so far is Supersonic and sadly it wasn't always like this but they don't want to accept they have a problem so yeah what else is there to say about the mybb rated "best fibre ISP" that I probably also help put there with all my 5 star ratings.

Supersonic
supersonic_pingplotter.png

Webafrica
webafrica_pingplotter.png

Cybersmart
cybersmart_pingplotter.png