MTN SuperSonic Feedback

Neet

Lol what a joke of an isp, literal garbage. Anyway I've already put in request for cancellation wonder if they'll be bad at doing this too....?

more fun times and weak response;
forgive my 1st "is" typo, blind typing rage...etc
ss (2020-05-05 at 09.30.04).png

schuits

Expert Member
Something going on with SuperSonic. So far I've been happy with them.
They've even bumped up my 20Mb to 50Mb speeds.
BUT, as the evening progresses this becomes worse. Right now it's at 2Mb, so a fair amount lower than what I pay for.
International pings however are making gaming terrible, usually they're 180ms or so, now they're going to 400ms+...odd.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Lol what a joke of an isp, literal garbage. Anyway I've already put in request for cancellation wonder if they'll be bad at doing this too....?

more fun times and weak response;
forgive my 1st "is" typo, blind typing rage...etc
View attachment 834688
I must show you some of my convos with these okes ... I have seen that one before as well.

JoeMobstarr28

Don't know what's happening with Supersonic on SADV in JHB South.
Since yesterday around the same time 7 to 8pm,connectivity is intermittent and download speeds just tank!
Contacted Supersonic and they say the issue is on SADV's side.
Eventually got sorted out on Saturday after a couple of hours and don't know about this latest outage, since Supersonic take forever to respond.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Since yesterday around the same time 7 to 8pm,connectivity is intermittent and download speeds just tank!
Eventually got sorted out on Saturday after a couple of hours and don't know about this latest outage, since Supersonic take forever to respond.
Is that on international or local speeds?

JoeMobstarr28

Here we go again!!!!

nivek

Executive Member
Also on SADV in JHB North and packet loss is awful tonight.. Same thing happened last night +-50% packet loss with pings to 8.8.8.8
It was fine during the day today

Con-tester

I simply can’t muster the patience or inclination to wade through 850+ posts to gauge what the general view here at MyBB is of MTN Süpersonic Fibre.

In my estimation it sucks—big time—and therefore I’ve struck them from my list of candidate FTTH ISPs. Here’s why:

A good friend of ours had a FTTH line installed about two weeks ago and entered into a contract with MTN Süpersonic for an uncapped 200 Mbps service. (Here’s the first reason I won’t be using MTN Süpersonic: Compared to other service providers, they’re damn expensive.)

My friend asked me to help them set up their ONU and WiFi router, which I did last night. (Second reason: The Zyxel VMG3625-T20A router is a total piece of junk.)

I tried several times to do a custom config of the WiFi router (SSIDs & passwords), only to discover that MTN Süpersonic locks the router as soon as it connects through to the user’s account. It automatically renames the SSIDs and resets the passwords to the router defaults, and then locks you out so you can’t administer your own router—but they don’t tell you this up front. You have to find this out by phoning them, and only they can do a custom router setup from their end. (This is the third reason: besides being a big security hole—MTN Süpersonic has access to your SSIDs and passwords, treating all of your customers as complete naïfs and morons is a strict no-no.) It’s a bit like giving someone a fancy car but not letting them have the key to it.

After a lot of frustrating back and forth (Reason four: Half the MTN Süpersonic call centre agents need much more and better training), I eventually got things running, apparently smoothly.

So I did a few speed tests to see the performance. The highest download speed was around 85 Mbps, while the highest upload came in at just under 50 Mbps. There were no other connections open on the line at the time, only the speed test. This on a line that’s supposed to be 200 Mbps. (And that’s the fifth and final reason: MTN Süpersonic seriously misleads its customers about line speed.)

johnnybfn

So the issue is not isolated as Supersonic tech support would like me to believe. I have been experiencing terribly slow internet since last week Wednesday(sub 1mbps) which they have been unable to resolve, I am starting to wonder if they are even aware that there are so many of their customers who are experiencing the same issue because their call centre staff are pretty clueless. Yesterday I had no internet at all, today it's back to 0.5mbps if I'm lucky!

Esque

I with Supersonicc on the Vodacom network, Zyxel router. When I use the default router setting (With the locked router UI), my son is able to download games on his PS3. However when I do a reset and remove the certificates to unlock the router UI, downloads on the PS3 completely stop.

The weird thing is that we are able to still use the Netflix app, Youtube, Playstation store etc.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? It is driving me mad, as I need access to the UI to limit my son's activity online.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I with Supersonicc on the Vodacom network, Zyxel router. When I use the default router setting (With the locked router UI), my son is able to download games on his PS3. However when I do a reset and remove the certificates to unlock the router UI, downloads on the PS3 completely stop.

The weird thing is that we are able to still use the Netflix app, Youtube, Playstation store etc.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? It is driving me mad, as I need access to the UI to limit my son's activity online.
When resetting and removing the certificates did you also set the pppoe details correctly?

It could be an issue with the bandwidth control setting you set rather than the certificates. If the router is locked you would need to call support and they will be able to configure it for you from their side.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Anyone able to get hold of Supersonic on their WhatsApp line? My chat has gone cold for more than 24 hours, despite constant messages from my side following up...

MisterV

Question, and I know I am not the only one wondering about this,
How did these guys win ISP of the year?
From IPC congestion and incompetency to recognize it, to dodgy contracts and claw back fees not to mention the lack of after sales service.
Im confused

Esque

When resetting and removing the certificates did you also set the pppoe details correctly?

It could be an issue with the bandwidth control setting you set rather than the certificates. If the router is locked you would need to call support and they will be able to configure it for you from their side.
Yes I am pretty sure that the ppoe details were correct. I have connection on all my devices. The ps3 is able to stream Netflix etc... It just wont download any games from the Playstore. The bandwith control settings that you are refering to, is that the QOS settings? Because if it is, then I didn't mess around with any of that.