I think its actually worse today .... it's happy hour for timeouts, no throughput and disconnects. LOL!
My last week of Vodacom 3G ... YAY!!! It's been a bumpy ride from the beginning with little improvement over the past 3 years. so i'm happy to say I will not miss this crappy and unreliable service.
Even if Cell C is just as bad as Vodacom, at least they are far cheaper. So it's a win win for me.

Just counting down the days ... :D

UPDATE: connection seems much better/stable now ... no timeout or disconnect for the last hour ... i will keep on monitoring
 
No data throughput in Welgelegen (Cape Town) area whole of today. Trying to get help on 155 without success (again listening to Johnny Clegg as I type) ... not cool!
 
Ongoing 628 and 619 errors on datacard and no data throughput on iPhone ... and the agent says to me there's nothing wrong with the network in the area and that I should take my phone in for repairs ... God help us!
 
Data problems in Welgelegen area persisted this morning. My phone and datacard works perfectly fine in Goodwood. How do I get Vodacom to check their equipment in Welgelegen area without going through an agent that tries to find the problem with my equipment?
 
Data problems in Welgelegen area persisted this morning. My phone and datacard works perfectly fine in Goodwood. How do I get Vodacom to check their equipment in Welgelegen area without going through an agent that tries to find the problem with my equipment?

How far is Welgelegen from Plattekloof? I'm battling with 3G here, have reported it.

Try switching to 2G for now.
 
How far is Welgelegen from Plattekloof? I'm battling with 3G here, have reported it.

Try switching to 2G for now.

Thanks Jannie. Not too far from you ... other side of Plattekloof Rd, right behind Panorama Primary (Akademie St). EDGE also very slow. On my iPhone I'm used to constant switching between 3G and EDGE (very frustrating but usable) but since yesterday there's just no data getting through when in the area.
 
Thanks Jannie. Not too far from you ... other side of Plattekloof Rd, right behind Panorama Primary (Akademie St). EDGE also very slow. On my iPhone I'm used to constant switching between 3G and EDGE (very frustrating but usable) but since yesterday there's just no data getting through when in the area.

OK, might the hospital site then. The guys are looking into it.
 
The Welgelegen area has had 3G/HSPA reception issues for yonks due to "issues" with the erection of a new tower in the area. Some say the community opposes the erection of a tower, others say there are legal issues with Council. I've pursued the "legal issues with Council" angle and I was given the assurance that the City's has no such issues. MTN and Cell C also struggle with poor reception in the area.
 
The Welgelegen area has had 3G/HSPA reception issues for yonks due to "issues" with the erection of a new tower in the area. Some say the community opposes the erection of a tower, others say there are legal issues with Council. I've pursued the "legal issues with Council" angle and I was given the assurance that the City's has no such issues. MTN and Cell C also struggle with poor reception in the area.

The community, for a fact. Every attempt to put up a tower is objected to and blocked.

Maybe you can canvas your neighbours to allow a tower to go up? :)
 
Jannie, maybe I must do just that. The way these things normally work is that there are one or two individuals that dominate the pack to have things their way (and this hold can be broken). When/where (in what forum) was Vodacom's application processes blocked?
 
The community, for a fact. Every attempt to put up a tower is objected to and blocked.

Maybe you can canvas your neighbours to allow a tower to go up? :)

I actually had a client who was willing to put a tower up in her back yard due to reception issues in Bryanston.....luckily it did not come to that as Vodacom found a alternate site at a commercial property. Jannie, is it even possible to erect a tower in a clients back yard if he/she is willing? Would that still be subject to coucil and community approval? Just interested if it can actually be done?
 
Jannie, not at home, can only test this evening after work. Will let you know. Thanks for the help.
 
Jannie, maybe I must do just that. The way these things normally work is that there are one or two individuals that dominate the pack to have things their way (and this hold can be broken). When/where (in what forum) was Vodacom's application processes blocked?
I'll get the details. Maybe give me a call when you've got some free time.

You're quite right about some people who'll oppose anything.

Constantia, here in the Southern Subs, had quite an ironic situation a few years back. Firstly, the local Home Owners Association clearly indicated they'll block any attempts to put up more coverage in the area. Fair enough, you might think. If all the residents feel that way, then it's cool.

Except that the very same residents then formed an action group to 'force' the operators to provide better coverage. They even had a web-site (cellhell.co.za) specifically aimed at this.

And this is one of the major issues the network providers face today.

Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) wants better coverage, fewer dropped calls, higher data speeds.

But no-one wants the towers close or where they can see them. Everyone is quite happy if its "on the next block", just "not on my block."

@ocleroux: I suspect you can put it anywhere, as long as you get all the correct approvals. But, of course, that does not guarantee smooth sailing.

It can take years to get these things up, if ever. The minister even commented on this process being a big hindrance to deploying broadband.

And in the mean time, everyone is screaming for better service.
 
Here in CT there was a case of a person that made money out of objecting to development applications. He and his girlfriend checked the newspapers for ads placed by the authorities and would then write letters to object with the hope that the developers affected would knock on his door with money to retract the objection. A few developers did fall for the scheme but others went to the Scorpions, and the guy was caught trying to "sell" a retraction to the Scorpions. The authorities are now much more vigilant.
 
DynDNS and Unrestricted APN not working

Hi, I hope I am posting in the right section.

I am having a problem which I have noticed since Friday.

I have some remote devices which use the Unrestricted APN and DynDNS to update a domain when the IP changes.

It has been working well the whole time but Friday we started having some problems which continued today as well.

Various things happen which is more frustrating than a particular problem constantly happening:

- The device on the unrestricted APN has internet access (tested) but doesn't update its IP address on DynDNS.

- Or, the device on the unrestricted APN has internet access, updates its IP on the DynDNS site but is not reachable over the web (site unreachable after trying for a long while)

- Or worse, everything all of a sudden works like it should.

Is there perhaps a known issue with either the unrestricted APN or the connection to DynDNS in the unrestricted APN?

I have this happening in Joburg area and Kynsa, Western Cape area.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Nick
 
Hi, I am still get the same problems today. I am new to Vodacom section, is there a contact person here that can assist directly?

Many Thanks
Nick

Hi, I hope I am posting in the right section.

I am having a problem which I have noticed since Friday.

I have some remote devices which use the Unrestricted APN and DynDNS to update a domain when the IP changes.

It has been working well the whole time but Friday we started having some problems which continued today as well.

Various things happen which is more frustrating than a particular problem constantly happening:

- The device on the unrestricted APN has internet access (tested) but doesn't update its IP address on DynDNS.

- Or, the device on the unrestricted APN has internet access, updates its IP on the DynDNS site but is not reachable over the web (site unreachable after trying for a long while)

- Or worse, everything all of a sudden works like it should.

Is there perhaps a known issue with either the unrestricted APN or the connection to DynDNS in the unrestricted APN?

I have this happening in Joburg area and Kynsa, Western Cape area.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Nick
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X